Associate Art Director
St. Louis Magazine (11-6-13)
Company: St. Louis Magazine LLC
Benefits: Dental, Health, 401K
Job Duration: Full time
Job Location: St. Louis, MO USA
St. Louis Magazine is seeking a full-time editorial and senior-level graphic designer. Reporting to the art director, the associate art director will be responsible for designing the front of book, some departments and features for the print edition. She/he will assist in the creation of web graphics, advertorial design, circulation materials, promotional/marketing materials and ad design. The Associate Art Director must be able to brainstorm creative design solutions to a wide mix of stories and be able to manage multiple projects at once. The position requires collaborating with photographers, illustrators and the magazine's editorial staff. Editorial design experience and experience art directing photo shoots is preferred.
- Design of editorial sections and some editorial feature stories
- Design of materials for circulation, web, marketing and advertising departments
- Conceptualizing and assigning illustration and photography
- Stock photo research and art requests
- Assist the Art Director on photo-shoots and with propping/styling
- Post service features to the CMS (edit HTML to make this appear nicely on the site; sometimes create landing pages)
- Make images for the rotating fader on the homepage (several a week)
- Find/create art for online-only articles, blog posts and contests
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- 5 to 8 years of design in publishing, marketing, advertising, creative communications or related field
- Proficient in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop for Mac.
- Some experience with Web design
- Takes initiative, has strong work ethic and desire to produce quality design
- Ability to learn quickly, multi-task and stay organized
- Ability to build positive relationships with others, team oriented
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively multi-task with tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within team environment
How to Apply
Please send the following to Art Director, Lindsay Timme (firstname.lastname@example.org); put "Associate Art Director" in the subject line):
A brief introduction describing your background, interests, and qualifications
A PDF of your resume
PDF portfolio (or URL for online portfolio)
(*Note: No phone calls)
About Our Company
St. Louis Magazine is the smart, stylish and sophisticated guide to St. Louis. Winner of multiple City and Regional Magazine Association awards, including the 2010 Redesign award, the publication brings readers revealing profiles, discerning dining and cultural guides, in-depth features, informed commentary and authoritative best-of lists. The company also publishes St. Louis At Home and St. Louis Family. In 2007, At Home earned CRMA’s gold medal for ancillary publications.
Hour Detroit (11-6-13)
Responsible for managing newsstand distribution, identify and develop subscription marketing opportunities, manage and complete list selection as needed, prepare bi-annual publisher statements, over see annual audits. Management and tracking of numerous reports and analysis of all circulation numbers across multiple titles.
- Prior Circulation Management a must
- Bachelor’s degree
- Data Base Management for Multiple Subscription List
- Highly Proficient in Excel, Word , Quickfill (helpful)
- Detail Oriented
- Proactive Problem Solver
- Strong Computer Skills to manage and create detailed spreadsheets
- Ability to manage and motivate staff
Please send resume and cover sheet to: email@example.com.
Graphic Designer -- Custom Projects
Cleveland Magazine (11-5-13)
Great Lakes Publishing Co., publisher of Cleveland Magazine, Ohio Magazine, Inside Business, Lake Erie Living and 100 client publications, has an opening for a graphic designer – custom projects. We are looking for an extremely creative, energetic, organized individual to designs and layout printed and graphic materials. A superior understanding of design concepts, typography, photography and software is key; Web design and photo skills are major pluses. The ideal candidate will work well under deadline pressure to perform routine and complex duties in the preparation of custom media. The position will work closely with project editors and managers within the Custom Projects team, as well as both the art directors and editors of our other publications.
• Creates layouts for custom media
• Designs and produces custom media
• Conducts image research
• Collaborates with art director and editor
• Meets with clients for direction and to ensure accuracy
• Maintains and backs up files
• Monitor and maintain quality throughout project (maintain quality to standards of our subscription publications and our external clients)
• In addition to custom media projects, may contribute to the planning and design of our other publications
• Take projects from concept to final delivery
• 2-5 years of design experience, experience in publishing preferable
• Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
• Familiar with Mac OS
• Knowledge of digital photography and retouching
• Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
• Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail necessary in order to handle a number of projects simultaneously
• Must work well in a deadline driven environment
• BFA in design or equivalent experience
Send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to Levi Perkins, art director of Custom Publishing, at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Graphic Designer, Custom Projects” in the subject line. Please include low-resolution PDF samples or a link to an online portfolio.
No phone calls, please.
Editorial Director (10-31-13)
Palm Springs Life
Desert Publications — publisher of Palm Springs Life, Pebble Beach: The Magazine, and a growing group of luxury lifestyle and destination magazines — seeks an editorial director to oversee content and design of all publications and digital properties; develop budgets; manage staff and contract editors, as well as freelance writers and editors; oversee quality control; and develop new print and digital products. This leader determines staff assignments, serves as editor-in-chief of Palm Springs Life and other publications, manages contributor contracts and rights and permissions, supports Marketing with copywriting and editing, and serves on the company’s management team. The position requires outstanding copyediting/rewriting, organizational, and time-management skills, as well as fine aesthetic sensibilities, solid story judgment, proficiency in AP style and Microsoft Word, familiarity InDesign and writing for the web, and the ability to plan print and web content in tandem. Bachelor’s degree and minimum 10 years of progressive magazine editing and management positions required. A passion for the desert will also factor into our hire. EOE. Send cover letter, resume and work samples to HR Department, Desert Publications Inc., Box 2724, Palm Springs, CA 92263 or to email@example.com.
Vice President of Sales (10-29-13)
New Orleans Magazine
Renaissance Publishing, publishers of New Orleans, Louisiana Life, Acadiana Profile magazines and many other titles and custom publishing, is looking for a vice president of sales for its lifestyle media division. Currently this division has eight sales executives, including sales managers and is publishing three magazines, digital editions, iPhone app, daily emails and website. We are looking for someone with city and regional publishing and digital experience to manage this team of professionals, interact with our editorial staff, and help create new opportunities for revenue enhancement within the lifestyle media division. If you are interested in applying for this position please send your resume to company CEO, Todd Matherne at Todd@myNewOrleans.com.
5280 Magazine (10-23-13)
Associate Art Director
5280, Denver’s city magazine, is looking for a talented, highly creative, and detail-oriented Associate Art Director. Candidates for this position must be passionate about editorial design and work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Designing all front-of-the-book and some feature pages for the magazine; creating beautiful type treatments; developing grids and generating concepts
- Keeping up with current (and historical) design and typographic trends and communicating key insights to the team
- Providing design guidance to junior members of the staff, interns, and freelancers as needed
- Undertaking additional design assignments at the request of the Art Director
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years experience (not including internships); experience with front-of-the-book and service packages a plus
- Expert knowledge of all Adobe programs: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Possess strong typographic ability and a sophisticated design aesthetic
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), organizational, and time management skills
- Attention to detail and ability to problem-solve; thinking outside the “gray” text box with charticles and infographics
- A positive attitude, flexibility, and strong work ethic
- Experience directing photo shoots is a plus
We offer a laidback and humane work environment, a creative downtown workplace, and the chance to do great work with an excellent team. Salary and benefits are competitive. 5280 Publishing is an equal-opportunity employer.
Email your resume, 3 design samples attached as a pdf (no larger than 10mb) and salary history to: AssociateADjob@5280.com.
No phone calls, please.
To post a vacancy, send the job notice to CRMA Staff Associate Barton Ortberg (firstname.lastname@example.org). Postings will be removed after 60 days.