Art Director, Diablo (7-17-16)
Winner of numerous awards, Diablo is seeking an outstanding art director who will continue our lifestyle magazine’s commitment to excellence. Diablo targets the affluent East Bay reader with hard-hitting stories, photo essays, service packages, and personality profiles. We’re looking for someone with a sophisticated design sense, a great eye for photography, and strong attention to detail.
- Design magazine pages that reflect and elevate our brand standards
- Work closely with our Editorial Department to create compelling content
- Guide stories through the entire design/production process (visual concept, image choices, layout, color correction, page proofs)
- Commission photography, illustrations, and infographics
- Manage the budget
- 5+ years of professional graphic design experience, with at least 3 at a magazine
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite – specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- A strong grasp of typography
- Experience creating pages and commissioning photography, illustrations, and infographics
- The ability to create tailored mockups and iterate designs based on feedback to meet business goals
- Strong leadership, management, and negotiation skills
- An aptitude for working across disciplines
- Refined multitasking skills: the capacity to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines
The ideal candidate will excel at working independently as well as collaboratively with the editorial team. A top priority is cover and feature design. Candidates must have at least 5 years of editorial design and art direction experience. A portfolio is essential.
Please send a link to your online portfolio and resume to email@example.com. Those with no editorial-design experience will not be considered.
Art Director, Ohio Magazine (7-12-16)
Ohio Magazine, a publication of Great Lakes Publishing Co., currently has an opening for an Art Director. We are looking for an extremely creative, energetic, organized individual to design and layout printed and digital materials. A superior understanding of design concepts, typography, photography and software is key; Web design and photo skills are major pluses. Candidates should have at least mid-level magazine experience, a flair for cover and feature design, strong management skills and be creative and resourceful. The position requires resilience and flexibility. The Art Director will work closely with the editor on the overall vision, content and execution of the magazine.
The ideal candidate will work well under deadline pressure to perform routine and complex duties in the preparation of Ohio Magazine and related products.
- Oversees all editorial design for Ohio Magazine (12 issues) and other ancillary products.
- Manages and directs freelance photographers, illustrators and designers on a monthly basis. Handles all freelance billing.
- Creates annual budget recommendations.
- Monitors business volume forecast and plans accordingly in areas of manpower, productivity, costs and other expense.
- Meets all deadlines.
- 5+ years of design experience, experience in publishing preferable
- Outstanding portfolio displaying a knack for designing travel and lifestyle editorial
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of digital photography and retouching
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Proven ability to direct and manage freelance artists and designers on set and in advance to achieve the editorial vision
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail necessary in order to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Must work well in a deadline driven environment
- BFA in design or equivalent experience
- Web design and photo skills are major pluses
Send cover letter, resume and pdf samples with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Accounting Manager, Indianapolis Monthly (7-12-16)
Emmis entered the world of publishing in 1988, with the purchase of its hometown magazine, Indianapolis Monthly, and since that time the company has grown to become the country’s leading publisher of city and regional magazines.
Building on the expertise of the management team at Indianapolis Monthly, Emmis Publishing has since acquired Atlanta, Texas Monthly, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and Orange Coast magazines.
Emmis Publishing has a rare opportunity for an experienced Accounting Manager. Emmis is seeking a highly motivated, self-directed candidate who can master the entire process of producing month-end financial statements and managerial reports. The preferred candidate has the ability to work and collaborate within a team atmosphere, think critically, and pay attention to detail. The ideal candidate is well organized, capable of effectively managing numerous projects and works well under pressure. The preferred candidate will also have high professional standards and excellent communication skills.
- Monthly financial close for two magazines, including all journal entries, account reconciliations and financial reports (income statements, balance sheet, actual to budget variance analysis)
- Monthly forecast reporting and weekly pacing reports
- Annual budget preparation for two magazines
- Calculate commissions; track and report any other changes in payroll
- Review all Accounts Payable invoice coding
- Liaison with local staff re: accounts receivable and billing activity, payment application, credit and collection processes
- File monthly sales tax report
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in accounting and budget management
- Expert skills in Excel as well as other office tools (Word, etc.)
- Previous experience in publishing/tv/radio preferred
- Previous experience in Lawson account software preferred
- Must be willing to work long hours and effectively manage through stressful situations
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. The preferred method to apply is to submit a cover letter, resume and application online within the Careers tab at www.emmis.com.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. EMMIS Communications (NASDAQ: EMMS) is a diversified media corporation with award-winning radio broadcasting and magazine publishing operations in markets across the country. EMMIS is as well known for its creative culture as for its operations. Our people are aggressive, knowledgeable and deeply committed to each of the communities in which we operate. Because employees are the key to our success, EMMIS offers strong benefits and incentives, including health, dental and life insurance and a 401(k) contribution plan. For more information about EMMIS, visit our website at www.emmis.com.
EMMIS COMMUNICATIONS/EMMIS PUBLISHING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Production Manager, Today Media (7-5-16)
Today Media has an opening in its Wilmington, Delaware office for a Production Manager.
We are looking for an experienced organized professional to manage production of monthly publications, promotional and event related materials both in print and online.
You must be self-motivated, organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment .
Today Media is a multi-platform communications company in the Mid-Atlantic. In print, online and in-person, Today Media delivers content that is visually engaging and something its affluent readers always look forward to. In addition to Delaware Today, Today Media publications include Main Line Today, The Hunt, Hudson Valley Magazine and Westchester Magazines. Today Media also publishes the Delaware Business Times and the Delaware Valley Italian American Herald – both tabloids. The company has offices in Baltimore, MD; Rye, NY; Poughkeepsie, NY; Newtown Square, PA and in Wilmington, Delaware where this position is located.
Manage and schedule all production aspects for magazine and tabloid publishing, working with editorial, sales and art departments, and press facilities. Direct a team of graphic and production employees to deliver publications, promotional and event related materials, and client advertising in a timely fashion.
- Working knowledge of PDF workflow and environment including pre-flight tools such as Pitstop Pro. Working knowledge of font management utilities and troubleshooting.
- Excellent knowledge and work experience with the entire Adobe Creative Suite library of software including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Bridge.
- Excellent understanding of web offset printing. Ability to coordinate with the press on color specifications, print deadlines, and any printing needs including general printed materials. Solicit quotes for special print projects.
- General understanding of layout and mapping a publication to integrate Advertising and Editorial content in a manner that satisfies the requirements of both as well as efficient paper usage.
- Prepares magazine pages for web offset printing and various digital editions using a PDF production workflow. Ability to analyze pages to ensure they meet press specifications. Monitor proofs and production workflow.
- Manage all publications and related materials on a cost control basis by obtaining regular competitive bids for external suppliers including printers, paper merchants and other production suppliers.
- Oversee and participate in the graphic design of print and digital advertising, promotional and event related materials and custom publications.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university with emphases on commercial art, computer graphic design; or three to five years of offset printing and/or digital imaging art department experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong skills in work planning, color separation, digital proofing, scheduling, and must have good judgment of color, design, layout, and print specifications.
- Excellent understanding of print/publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to timelines.
- Ability to perform some job functions using MS Word and Excel.
Send resume and salary requirements along with cover letter to: email@example.com
Editor-in-Chief, Austin Monthly (6-23-16)
Austin Monthly magazine has an immediate opening for a creative, organized individual with strong leadership skills to serve as its Editor-in-Chief. This position will report to the publisher and is responsible for the editorial content and direction of Austin Monthly.
- Conceive story ideas, plan issue lineups and set the annual editorial calendar
- Assign stories to freelance writers and staffers
- Maintain strong relationships with 15 to 20 freelancers
- Edit and/or top edit every story in the magazine
- Edit and write features
- Edit and write content for austinmonthly.com
- Lead editorial staff of three editors, four interns
- Manage the editorial budget
- Help set the overall strategic direction of the magazine
- Coordinate planning with advertising and art departments
- Serve as a representative of the magazine in the community
Experience: Five to eight years of publishing experience with 2 years managerial experience preferred.
Knowledge and skills: InDesign, Word, Excel, general office programs
Abilities: Requires excellent organization, time-management and communication skills. Business acumen and financial literacy is essential. People skills, diplomacy and team leadership abilities are critical. Creative ideas and execution of fresh publication style.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising & Project Coordinator, Great Lakes Publishing (5-18-16)
Great Lakes Publishing, publishers of Ohio Magazine, Cleveland Magazine, Lake Erie Living, client publications and websites seeks an Advertising & Project Coordinator. The successful candidate will provide support for the advertising, accounting, production and custom media teams.
- Enter advertising contracts into sales management system
- Contact advertisers for artwork via email and phone
- Prepare sales solicitation mailings and emails
- Provide administrative support for Advertising Sales, Custom Media and accounting team
- Attend sales meeting and be an active contributor to the sales team
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent from four-year college or technical school; (Degree preference in Business, Communication, Marketing or related field).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Customer service disposition and “can do” problem-solver attitude
- Must work well in a deadline-driven environment
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com . No phone calls, please. Prospective candidates will be contacted.
Marketing Manager, Delaware Business Times (5-13-16)
Bring us better marketing! We need a crackerjack tactical marketing manager. Fast forward one year from today. You will have helped Today Media, a regional media company, take the 18 month old Delaware Business Times to the next level. We look to redefine our methods of promoting existing products, launch new products, develop new tactical marketing programs and literature that are effective in reaching our potential customers, manage our events, communicate the unique position that separates us from our competition, and ensure the most appropriate sales channels are being used effectively.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years marketing experience along with a Bachelor’s degree, and a strong track record of accomplishments in tactical marketing, particularly in a business to business and business to consumer entrepreneurial company. Your candidacy will leap to the top if you’ve also got a strong track record of success in a media company that produces high quality publications, events and digital products.
If you would like to apply, send a copy of your resume and salary requirements along with a half-page write-up of your most significant tactical marketing accomplishments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We think your accomplishments are much more important than your resume and we’ll read them first.
To post a vacancy, send the job notice to CRMA Staff. Postings will be removed after 60 days