Great Lakes Publishing, Cleveland, OH (11-12-14)
Great Lakes Publishing Co. (GLP), publisher of Cleveland Magazine, Inside Business, Lake Erie Living, Ohio Magazine and client publications seeks a Production Manager to manage a monthly magazine and its related client driven custom publication division.
The Production Manager will report to the Director of Production and work closely with all aspects of a publication team including editorial, design, advertising and accounting. Candidates must be extremely organized, have the strong ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, and have an excellent technical understanding of printing along with communicating well with members of a team.
- Manage print schedule of multiple publications
- Create initial layouts
- Coordinate advertisement production
- Preflight advertisements
- Place advertisements in layouts
- Archive advertisements
- Prepare advertising thumbnails for accounting
- Set up(Rip) art files for proofs and printing
- Prepare issue plans for printers
- Prepare art files for digitial publishing
- Monitor and maintain quality throughout project (maintain quality to standards of both Great Lakes Publishing and our external clients)
- Manage freelance advertisement designers
- 5 years of print production experience
- Strong knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Bachelors Degree in related field
Please send a PDF of your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to PMhire@glpublishing.com please include “Production Manager” in the subject line.
Circulation and Distribution Manager
Palm Springs Life (10-13-14)
Desert Publications, Inc., publisher of Palm Springs Life (PSL) and based in the beautiful Coachella Valley of Southern California, has an opening for a person to run our Circulation and Distribution department. Candidates must have prior magazine circulation and distribution management experience, preferably with a city and regional lifestyle publication.
Responsibilities emphasize the growth of our paid print and digital subscription base and the development and implementation of marketing plans and promotions to make it happen. Candidate is also responsible for USPS relations, reports and permits, overseeing our publication audits, managing the budgets in these areas, print orders, inventory and storage oversight, relations with our fulfillment house and newsstand distributors. Supervisory experience required.
Besides PSL, we also publish 20-25 other publications on a less frequent, but no less important, free circulation model that require input and oversight from this management position.
If interested, send a cover letter and resume via email only to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS.
We offer a competitive salary, good benefits and a pleasant work environment in a stable company that has been in the magazine and media business for 50+ years.
Advertising Director, Diablo Publications, San Francisco, CA (9-22-14)
Entrepreneurial company, located in the San Francisco East Bay seeks a high energy, bright individual experienced in managing an advertising sales team. The following skills are required:
- Management experience
- Knowledge and expertise in selling to a variety of categories
- Ability to read and analyze revenue and performance reports
- Creative thinker
- Solution oriented mindset
- Adept at public speaking and making presentations
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills
Send resume to Barney Fonzi, Group Publisher at firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Art Director, Portland Monthly magazine, Portland, OR (9-16-14)
SagaCity Media has an immediate opening in its Portland office for an ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR to work on a monthly publication dedicated to exceptional editorial and design. The position will report to the Art Director.
We are seeking a highly creative and energetic person whose responsibilities will vary, but include designing departments, features, and occasional covers. Duties include assigning, producing, or sourcing photography and illustration; designing magazine pages; developing maps, charts, and other information graphics as needed; and overseeing Portland Monthly’s brand extension in the digital space. Candidates must have a keen design eye, exceptional typographic skills, and fastidious attention to detail. Candidates must also be able to manage workflow with firm deadlines and be in daily collaboration with internal editorial staff. The ideal candidate will have exceptional organizational skills and be zealous about producing compelling and innovative editorial design in a fast-paced workplace.
Experience: Qualified candidates should have 3 years experience art directing or designing for consumer magazines, or equivalent agency art directing experience, as well as demonstrable experience managing budgets and directing photo shoots. Best candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar field.
Skills: Education and technical background must include mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, extensive knowledge and stylish use of type, photography, and illustration, and experience with art commissioning, photo directing, and editing. Extra points for illustration/photography chops.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, résumé, and PDFs or links to relevant samples to email@example.com and put “Associate Art Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Portland Monthly is an award-winning publication dedicated to the highest editorial and design standards, based in one of the nation’s most exciting cities. Portland Monthly is the top-selling magazine in the greater Portland metropolitan area, and has won many awards including General Excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association, Folio, Communication Arts, and multiple Society of Professional Journalists awards. Portland Monthly is published by Sagacity Media Inc., which also publishes Portland Bride and Groom, Seattle Metropolitan, Seattle Met Bride and Groom, Houstonia, and more.
Custom Media, Great Lakes Publishing, Cleveland, OH (9-12-14)
Great Lakes Publishing seeks an Associate Editor, Custom Media,in our Cleveland, Ohio office. This position includes the responsibility as Editor of LongWeekends Magazine, our 175,000 circulation travel magazine published in eight states. We’re looking for a savvy editor with experience in reporting, writing and editing various forms of prose for our client publications in travel, business and specialty fields. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and have superior copyediting and proofreading skills, familiarity with AP style and inherent skill with editing and rewriting. As an editor in our Custom Media department, this person should work well in a client-driven environment in which creativity and organization are critical. This position reports to the managing editor in Columbus.
- Assigns and edit stories for various client-driven products
- Writes copy for client-driven products
- Fact checks or assigns fact checking on all edit and audits facts when required by a project
- Works directly with client and is responsible for proof deadlines
- Collaborates with art directors, account executives and clients
- Proofs and corrects pages in InCopy/InDesign
- Manages internal databases, familiarity with Excel preferred
- Prioritizes multiple assignments in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- A degree in communications, journalism, English or a related field
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- 3-5 clips that show skill at magazine, trade or client-driven writing
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Solid grounding in journalism ethics and values
Send cover letter containing salary requirement along with resume and work samples to: Cleedit@glpublishing.com [SUBJECT LINE: Custom Media Application]. No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates will be contacted.