Account Executive, Great Lakes Publishing (8-29-16)
Great Lakes Publishing Company and its sister company Ripple Effect Interactive seeks a senior-level account executive to help expand our state association portfolio in the Central Ohio market. This candidate will be responsible for prospecting, selling and maintaining accounts for our printed and digital communications solutions.
Great Lakes Publishing produces Ohio Magazine, Cleveland Magazine, LongWeekends, Lake Erie Living and more than 100 client publications, web site & mobile apps each year. We are looking for a person who can help us manage this growth with the same commitment to client service and quality for which we are known. The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, creative, motivated, organized and possess the skills necessary to communicate and work well with our staff and our clients. This position is based in our Dublin, Ohio office.
- Prospect for advertising and contract communication services for custom publishing and related Interactive products.
- Attend community events and network.
- Coordinate advertisers' needs with Great Lakes Publishing policies, procedures and special programs and issues, to explain rates, contractual and business requirements, technical capabilities, and to encourage prompt payment of open accounts.
- Write proposals and negotiate contracts.
- Initiate customer contact by use of both phone and automobile.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent from four-year college or technical school; (Degree preference in Business, Communication, Advertising, Marketing or related field)
- Media (print, radio or TV) sales or similar sales field experience required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to take and overcome criticism/rejection
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Must work well in a deadline-driven environment
Send cover letter, salary requirements and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Coordinator, D Magazine (8-16-16)
D Magazine is searching for a profoundly organized and proactive administrative coordinator. This position is responsible for all administrative office operations, assists the CEO and President, and serves as manager to the administrative assistant. The perfect candidate is self-managing and demonstrates thoughtful judgement and calm attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide daily administrative support to the Chairman & CEO and President
- Order and maintain inventory of office/breakroom supplies
- Administer all potential hire testing
- Process all office mail
- Provide support to the administrative assistant as needed
- Maintain all office vendor relationships and negotiate new contracts
- Manage office construction and maintenance
- Coordinate travel arrangements
- 3-4 years of administrative and client service experience
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to prioritize and execute projects small and large without major guidance or management
- Interest in constantly assessing and evolving office practices in order to streamline processes or save the company money
- Willingness to cheerfully tackle unexpected fires
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to Chelsey@dmagazine.com.
Graphic Designer, D Magazine (8-3-16)
This year, at the annual City and Regional Magazine Awards, D Magazine won general excellence in its circulation category. You know what you should do? Come work here and help us win it again in 2017. The D Magazine art department is seeking a creative, talented graphic designer to join our team. The junior level position will work with art directors for D, DCEO, DHome and D Weddings, and be responsible for general administrative duties and design work.
- Performing general administrative duties, including arranging photo shoots, collecting existing art and photography, and internal and external image research.
- On-set assistance with photo shoots.
- Product pulls and returns.
- Design of regular department pages for the magazine.
- Working with editors to fit copy to layouts.
- Working with production to route designed pages through the editorial process to print.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in design
- 1-2 years' professional experience
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud and Mac OS
- Basic understanding of typography and color
- Ability to multitask within a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to perform independently and within a team
Please email cover letter, resume, and link to online portfolio or PDF samples to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Art Director, Diablo (7-17-16)
Winner of numerous awards, Diablo is seeking an outstanding art director who will continue our lifestyle magazine’s commitment to excellence. Diablo targets the affluent East Bay reader with hard-hitting stories, photo essays, service packages, and personality profiles. We’re looking for someone with a sophisticated design sense, a great eye for photography, and strong attention to detail.
- Design magazine pages that reflect and elevate our brand standards
- Work closely with our Editorial Department to create compelling content
- Guide stories through the entire design/production process (visual concept, image choices, layout, color correction, page proofs)
- Commission photography, illustrations, and infographics
- Manage the budget
- 5+ years of professional graphic design experience, with at least 3 at a magazine
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite – specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- A strong grasp of typography
- Experience creating pages and commissioning photography, illustrations, and infographics
- The ability to create tailored mockups and iterate designs based on feedback to meet business goals
- Strong leadership, management, and negotiation skills
- An aptitude for working across disciplines
- Refined multitasking skills: the capacity to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines
The ideal candidate will excel at working independently as well as collaboratively with the editorial team. A top priority is cover and feature design. Candidates must have at least 5 years of editorial design and art direction experience. A portfolio is essential.
Please send a link to your online portfolio and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Those with no editorial-design experience will not be considered.
Art Director, Ohio Magazine (7-12-16)
Ohio Magazine, a publication of Great Lakes Publishing Co., currently has an opening for an Art Director. We are looking for an extremely creative, energetic, organized individual to design and layout printed and digital materials. A superior understanding of design concepts, typography, photography and software is key; Web design and photo skills are major pluses. Candidates should have at least mid-level magazine experience, a flair for cover and feature design, strong management skills and be creative and resourceful. The position requires resilience and flexibility. The Art Director will work closely with the editor on the overall vision, content and execution of the magazine.
The ideal candidate will work well under deadline pressure to perform routine and complex duties in the preparation of Ohio Magazine and related products.
- Oversees all editorial design for Ohio Magazine (12 issues) and other ancillary products.
- Manages and directs freelance photographers, illustrators and designers on a monthly basis. Handles all freelance billing.
- Creates annual budget recommendations.
- Monitors business volume forecast and plans accordingly in areas of manpower, productivity, costs and other expense.
- Meets all deadlines.
- 5+ years of design experience, experience in publishing preferable
- Outstanding portfolio displaying a knack for designing travel and lifestyle editorial
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of digital photography and retouching
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Must take direction and assert ideas quickly
- Proven ability to direct and manage freelance artists and designers on set and in advance to achieve the editorial vision
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail necessary in order to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Must work well in a deadline driven environment
- BFA in design or equivalent experience
- Web design and photo skills are major pluses
Send cover letter, resume and pdf samples with salary requirements to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Accounting Manager, Indianapolis Monthly (7-12-16)
Emmis entered the world of publishing in 1988, with the purchase of its hometown magazine, Indianapolis Monthly, and since that time the company has grown to become the country’s leading publisher of city and regional magazines.
Building on the expertise of the management team at Indianapolis Monthly, Emmis Publishing has since acquired Atlanta, Texas Monthly, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and Orange Coast magazines.
Emmis Publishing has a rare opportunity for an experienced Accounting Manager. Emmis is seeking a highly motivated, self-directed candidate who can master the entire process of producing month-end financial statements and managerial reports. The preferred candidate has the ability to work and collaborate within a team atmosphere, think critically, and pay attention to detail. The ideal candidate is well organized, capable of effectively managing numerous projects and works well under pressure. The preferred candidate will also have high professional standards and excellent communication skills.
- Monthly financial close for two magazines, including all journal entries, account reconciliations and financial reports (income statements, balance sheet, actual to budget variance analysis)
- Monthly forecast reporting and weekly pacing reports
- Annual budget preparation for two magazines
- Calculate commissions; track and report any other changes in payroll
- Review all Accounts Payable invoice coding
- Liaison with local staff re: accounts receivable and billing activity, payment application, credit and collection processes
- File monthly sales tax report
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in accounting and budget management
- Expert skills in Excel as well as other office tools (Word, etc.)
- Previous experience in publishing/tv/radio preferred
- Previous experience in Lawson account software preferred
- Must be willing to work long hours and effectively manage through stressful situations
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. The preferred method to apply is to submit a cover letter, resume and application online within the Careers tab at www.emmis.com.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. EMMIS Communications (NASDAQ: EMMS) is a diversified media corporation with award-winning radio broadcasting and magazine publishing operations in markets across the country. EMMIS is as well known for its creative culture as for its operations. Our people are aggressive, knowledgeable and deeply committed to each of the communities in which we operate. Because employees are the key to our success, EMMIS offers strong benefits and incentives, including health, dental and life insurance and a 401(k) contribution plan. For more information about EMMIS, visit our website at www.emmis.com.
EMMIS COMMUNICATIONS/EMMIS PUBLISHING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Production Manager, Today Media (7-5-16)
Today Media has an opening in its Wilmington, Delaware office for a Production Manager.
We are looking for an experienced organized professional to manage production of monthly publications, promotional and event related materials both in print and online.
You must be self-motivated, organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment .
Today Media is a multi-platform communications company in the Mid-Atlantic. In print, online and in-person, Today Media delivers content that is visually engaging and something its affluent readers always look forward to. In addition to Delaware Today, Today Media publications include Main Line Today, The Hunt, Hudson Valley Magazine and Westchester Magazines. Today Media also publishes the Delaware Business Times and the Delaware Valley Italian American Herald – both tabloids. The company has offices in Baltimore, MD; Rye, NY; Poughkeepsie, NY; Newtown Square, PA and in Wilmington, Delaware where this position is located.
Manage and schedule all production aspects for magazine and tabloid publishing, working with editorial, sales and art departments, and press facilities. Direct a team of graphic and production employees to deliver publications, promotional and event related materials, and client advertising in a timely fashion.
- Working knowledge of PDF workflow and environment including pre-flight tools such as Pitstop Pro. Working knowledge of font management utilities and troubleshooting.
- Excellent knowledge and work experience with the entire Adobe Creative Suite library of software including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Bridge.
- Excellent understanding of web offset printing. Ability to coordinate with the press on color specifications, print deadlines, and any printing needs including general printed materials. Solicit quotes for special print projects.
- General understanding of layout and mapping a publication to integrate Advertising and Editorial content in a manner that satisfies the requirements of both as well as efficient paper usage.
- Prepares magazine pages for web offset printing and various digital editions using a PDF production workflow. Ability to analyze pages to ensure they meet press specifications. Monitor proofs and production workflow.
- Manage all publications and related materials on a cost control basis by obtaining regular competitive bids for external suppliers including printers, paper merchants and other production suppliers.
- Oversee and participate in the graphic design of print and digital advertising, promotional and event related materials and custom publications.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university with emphases on commercial art, computer graphic design; or three to five years of offset printing and/or digital imaging art department experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong skills in work planning, color separation, digital proofing, scheduling, and must have good judgment of color, design, layout, and print specifications.
- Excellent understanding of print/publishing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to timelines.
- Ability to perform some job functions using MS Word and Excel.
Send resume and salary requirements along with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor-in-Chief, Austin Monthly (6-23-16)
Austin Monthly magazine has an immediate opening for a creative, organized individual with strong leadership skills to serve as its Editor-in-Chief. This position will report to the publisher and is responsible for the editorial content and direction of Austin Monthly.
- Conceive story ideas, plan issue lineups and set the annual editorial calendar
- Assign stories to freelance writers and staffers
- Maintain strong relationships with 15 to 20 freelancers
- Edit and/or top edit every story in the magazine
- Edit and write features
- Edit and write content for austinmonthly.com
- Lead editorial staff of three editors, four interns
- Manage the editorial budget
- Help set the overall strategic direction of the magazine
- Coordinate planning with advertising and art departments
- Serve as a representative of the magazine in the community
Experience: Five to eight years of publishing experience with 2 years managerial experience preferred.
Knowledge and skills: InDesign, Word, Excel, general office programs
Abilities: Requires excellent organization, time-management and communication skills. Business acumen and financial literacy is essential. People skills, diplomacy and team leadership abilities are critical. Creative ideas and execution of fresh publication style.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
To post a vacancy, send the job notice to CRMA Staff. Postings will be removed after 60 days