Editor-in-Chief, Austin Monthly (6-23-16)
Austin Monthly magazine has an immediate opening for a creative, organized individual with strong leadership skills to serve as its Editor-in-Chief. This position will report to the publisher and is responsible for the editorial content and direction of Austin Monthly.
- Conceive story ideas, plan issue lineups and set the annual editorial calendar
- Assign stories to freelance writers and staffers
- Maintain strong relationships with 15 to 20 freelancers
- Edit and/or top edit every story in the magazine
- Edit and write features
- Edit and write content for austinmonthly.com
- Lead editorial staff of three editors, four interns
- Manage the editorial budget
- Help set the overall strategic direction of the magazine
- Coordinate planning with advertising and art departments
- Serve as a representative of the magazine in the community
Experience: Five to eight years of publishing experience with 2 years managerial experience preferred.
Knowledge and skills: InDesign, Word, Excel, general office programs
Abilities: Requires excellent organization, time-management and communication skills. Business acumen and financial literacy is essential. People skills, diplomacy and team leadership abilities are critical. Creative ideas and execution of fresh publication style.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Senior Accountant / Controller, Texas Monthly (6-22-16)
Emmis entered the world of publishing in 1988, with the purchase of its hometown magazine, Indianapolis Monthly, and since that time the company has grown to become the country’s leading publisher of city and regional magazines.
Building on the expertise of the management team at Indianapolis Monthly, Emmis Publishing has since acquired Atlanta, Texas Monthly, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and Orange Coast magazines.
Texas Monthly has chronicled Texas politics, lifestyle, food, and arts since 1973. Winner of 13 National Magazine Awards, the publishing industry's highest honor, Texas Monthly embodies the gold standard of print journalism. Its growing digital portfolio encompasses texasmonthly.com, tmbbq.com, a highly-engaged social media community, and interactive apps. The annual sold-out TMBBQ Fest is the capstone to a slate of year-round events that Texas Monthly conducts, ranging from editorial panels, to signature chef dinners, BBQ events, custom client programs, and more. The Texas Monthly brand covers a lot of territory—just like the state—and reaches affluent Texans in every population center from the panhandle to the Rio Grande.
This position is directly responsible for all accounting, finance, and human resources operations for Texas Monthly. Reports directly to the entity President and indirectly to the VP Finance, Emmis Publishing. Must be detail oriented with a positive attitude and be a team player.
- Administer accounting policies, procedures, and practices that safeguard the company assets through the use of internal controls and insure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and GAAP.
- Responsible for monthly financial close, including journal entries and statement preparation, reconciliation of accounts and analysis of costs and explanations of variance to budget and actual. Works directly with accounting and finance personnel at corporate offices for budgeting and reporting purposes.
- Prepare all financial reports including monthly forecasts, weekly pacing, and annual budget.
- Responsible for accounts payable, purchasing, payroll, cash receipts, credit and collections, accounts receivable and billing activity either directly or through supervision of assigned employees, or working with centralized processing at corporate.
- Provide President and senior management with timely reviews of magazine’s financial status, and assist on operational issues to drive revenues and control costs.
- Responsible for administration and control of all HR functions at the entity level, either directly or through supervision of assigned employees.
- Additional tasks and responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the President. Tasks and responsibilities may be added or revised based on the volume of business and work requiring completion at any given time.
Supervises and directs accounting and administrative personnel of the publication. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Emmis’ policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing and resolving conflicts and problems.
EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 5 years of experience in accounting and budget management
- Minimum 2 years project team leadership experience
- Expert skills in Excel as well as other office tools (Word/PowerPoint).
- Previous experience in publishing/tv/radio preferred
- Lawson accounting software preferred, but not required
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including both written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work and collaborate within a team atmosphere and appreciate the team of people it takes to execute business plans and achieve results
- Must apply professional, ethical and legal standards and have ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with employee issues
- Detail oriented and well-organized, capable of effectively managing numerous projects
- Must be willing to work long hours and effectively manage through stressful situations
Advertising & Project Coordinator, Great Lakes Publishing (5-18-16)
Great Lakes Publishing, publishers of Ohio Magazine, Cleveland Magazine, Lake Erie Living, client publications and websites seeks an Advertising & Project Coordinator. The successful candidate will provide support for the advertising, accounting, production and custom media teams.
- Enter advertising contracts into sales management system
- Contact advertisers for artwork via email and phone
- Prepare sales solicitation mailings and emails
- Provide administrative support for Advertising Sales, Custom Media and accounting team
- Attend sales meeting and be an active contributor to the sales team
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent from four-year college or technical school; (Degree preference in Business, Communication, Marketing or related field).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle a number of projects simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Customer service disposition and “can do” problem-solver attitude
- Must work well in a deadline-driven environment
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls, please. Prospective candidates will be contacted.
Marketing Manager, Delaware Business Times (5-13-16)
Bring us better marketing! We need a crackerjack tactical marketing manager. Fast forward one year from today. You will have helped Today Media, a regional media company, take the 18 month old Delaware Business Times to the next level. We look to redefine our methods of promoting existing products, launch new products, develop new tactical marketing programs and literature that are effective in reaching our potential customers, manage our events, communicate the unique position that separates us from our competition, and ensure the most appropriate sales channels are being used effectively.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years marketing experience along with a Bachelor’s degree, and a strong track record of accomplishments in tactical marketing, particularly in a business to business and business to consumer entrepreneurial company. Your candidacy will leap to the top if you’ve also got a strong track record of success in a media company that produces high quality publications, events and digital products.
If you would like to apply, send a copy of your resume and salary requirements along with a half-page write-up of your most significant tactical marketing accomplishments to email@example.com. We think your accomplishments are much more important than your resume and we’ll read them first.
Advertising Sales Account Executive, Delaware Today (4-7-16)
Today Media publishes four monthly lifestyle magazines including Delaware Today and Main Line Today, and more than 10 specialty publications, increasing our reach and impressions in a highly sought after upscale demographic. We also create marketing solutions, develop new business opportunities and host revenue-generating events.
We employ nearly 150 people, covering a 5-state region on the east coast. Our territory includes Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We have the highest commitment to quality, service and integrity when it comes to our audiences and each other.
Today Media reaches millions of affluent consumers with multi-platform marketing solutions. In print, online and in person, we deliver upscale demographics in key market areas.
We currently have an opening for an ADVERTISING SALES ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE in our Delaware market for Delaware Today.
The position offers salary, uncapped commission, full benefits and the tools you need to be successful. If you like to research potential clients, get on the phone, network face to face and create successful ad campaigns through a consultative sales process, we should talk.
- Minimum two years proven outside sales experience - including prospecting and/or cold calling for lead generation
- Excellent presentation, negotiation and closing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Exceptional follow-through
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Excellent computer skills
- Clear understanding of print and/or online marketing and advertising
- Four year college degree desirable
Join an outstanding sales team and sell an outstanding product!
Apply to SalesJobs@DelawareToday.com. Please include a cover letter and salary requirements. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
To post a vacancy, send the job notice to CRMA Staff. Postings will be removed after 60 days